History

What is the E.O. Austin Home?

   

In September of 1856, Edward Orramel Austin came to Freeman Run. He fell in love with the area and began to build a village. From then on, he lived his entire life in the valley. He served in the Civil War and returned to his valley after. His dream grew until his town, at one period, was one of the largest in Potter County. At the time of his death in 1908, the town of Austin was at its most productive with paper mills and saw mills as well. He lived to see a great dream come true. Two years later, nearly the entire town was swept away when the great dam built by the Bayless Pulp and Paper Company failed to hold back its 500,000,000+ gallons of water. The home of E.O. Austin went with it.

The building is a replica of E.O. Austin's house of the 1800's.  It is in almost the exact spot as it was before the flood of 1911.  The inside of the home is a museum filled with memorabilia from Austin and the surrounding areas (Wharton, Keating Summit and Odin). The goal of "The New, Oldest Home in Austin" is to preserve our own town's history - past, present, and future.
Tags: Jake ,  Austin ,  flood ,  address ,  flood/contact.php ,  alford ,  civil ,  1911 ,  1939 ,  Austin Texas ,  phone ,  MWayMXTkrp ,  mission ,  polo ,  Jake Austin hotel goodyear medallion in museum ,  civil war ,  james thomas larkin ,  jamesAthomashlarkin ,  mission statement ,  missionkstatement ,  photo gallery ,  chestnut bank ,  Austin1Texas ,  civilAwar ,  Austin2Texas ,  JakeiAustinchotel ,  -1' ,  AustinsTexas ,  missionhstatement ,  chestnutlbank

Austin, PA
814.647.8358
site designed, programmed and hosted by McKula Inc.  |  secure login